Saturday, February 12, 2011

How much have I valued my body?

            I don’t have a healthy body, physically speaking. I was unfortunately born with asthma. It’s a common disease nowadays you probably heard it from a friend who also has asthma or a relative or from your officemate. But only those who has this ineradicable disease knows how hard and how limited you feel carrying this burden for your whole life. You can’t do strenuous activities nor overdose yourself with sweets. However, funny as it sounds, I used this disease to have an excuse not to go to school before. I almost wished everyday that I will get an asthma attack especially whenever there is an upcoming quiz a day after. I drunk cold water and ate sweets just to make sure of it. Sometimes I failed but most of the time I got a day out of school. I only viewed my body back then as a mere tool. A tool, if incapacitated in doing things, will have time to slack over. That was my life back in the first half of my high school life. That was how I took advantage of my body just for gaining my personal wants not to think that the medicine for asthma is expensive plus the concern of my parents whenever I can’t sleep at night. I already stopped that habit but still I was not that conscious about my body.

            Last year, my grandfather died due to asthma. I was in a state of shock that time. Not only because of the death of my beloved grandfather but also the thought of what if it will also happen to me? What if my body will become immune with the medicines? It was a big slap to my face. It was a go-start-a-healthy-life kind of a slap for me. Now that I already have a goal a life unlike before I don’t want to die early. I decided to slowly start a healthy life starting with controlling myself not to drink soft drinks and eating sweets. Hopefully, after I graduate, whenever it will be, I can start sleeping early properly. I will never take advantage of my body. Now, the value of my body is as twice as my dream for without my body I can never able to reach my dream. 

No comments:

Post a Comment